Kristiansand city was founded in 1641, and soon developed into a booming city of trade and commerce. The close distance and safe shelter to key European markets became one of the most distinct characters of the city of Kristiansand, and still is one of the most important competitive advantage the City of Kristiansand enjoys. A large part of the regional industry today is connected to offshore and trade activity, all depending on efficient port services. Due to major companies and leading actors of both import and export, The Port of Kristiansand enjoys a trade balance of import and export, ensuring efficient cargo handling. The most important operations are with container ships and ferries.
The Port of Kristiansand has a specific focus on five areas of strategy:
1) Ferry: Port of Kristiansand is the second largest ferry terminal in Norway, and has several daily departures between Hirtshals, Denmark and Kristiansand operated by the ferry operators Color Line and Fjord Line,
2) Container: The Port of Kristiansand is one of Norway`s largest and most important container terminals. The terminal is located in the very heart of the city centre of Kristiansand, and is open 24/7, 365 days a year. The container terminal is known for it`s balance between export and import, and strategic location with short sailing distance to key European markets. That`s why we are Southern Norway`s most important transportation hub with excellent road and rail connection,
3) Offshore Supply Port: The offshore industry is a major market for the Port of Kristiansand, and the port has established a modern and efficient Offshore Supply Port. The port has developed into becoming South Norway`s most important offshore supply port. Southern Norway as a region is the home of the main offices to world leading offshore supply companies such as National Oilwell Varco, MH Würth, and Cameron,
4) Cruise: The Port of Kristiansand is the preferred cruise port between Oslo and Bergen, and has over the last years experienced a tremendous growth within the cruise market. In 2016 the Port of Kristiansand enjoyed 64 cruise port calls,
5) General Cargo and Bulk: The Port of Kristiansand is the region`s leading port for general cargo and bulk. The port has continuous priority of developing the terminal area to offer the best and most efficient solution to our users. The terminal area has a strategic location with excellent connection to the European Route, E18.
Today Kristiansand Havn use PortWin Port Operaton System, and have great interest in the PortForward project to help developing suitable solutions that links terminal operations, Yard Management and Port Authorities in a more efficient way. Our vision with for the port of the future from our perspective is to strengthen our position as Southern Norway most important transportation hub through innovative ideas and more effective operations.
For more information please visit http://www.portofkristiansand.no/en/.